Katie

Katie
Still Fighting

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New Birthday! (Day 0 or Transplant Day)

Print Friendly and PDF
This is Jenn, Katie's sister, I wanted to share with you how today went.

Yesterday a 23 year old male somewhere in Europe was generous enough to donate stem cells for Katie, a complete stranger. What a blessing! Then the cells were hand carried to Katie in Dallas. Her transplant started around 2:30 and finished around 4:00 pm. She did very well throughout the transplant! Katie was surrounded by family today...Mom, Kim, me, Adam, Dad, Linda, and Sherry.

Now the waiting game begins. Katie will probably start having side effects next week from the chemotherapy used for conditioning. From experience, we know that this is a rough time for her. We should start seeing the new cells engraft in 10-14 days. They predict Katie will be in the hospital 4-8 weeks.

I can't thank you all enough for your prayers, thoughts, email, texts, cards, and gifts for Katie and our family. We are truely blessed to have each of you in our life.

Love,
Jenn


2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie--
    Our family has been praying for you! Hope one day to meet you and introduce you to our "survivor" Kenedy...Love your blogs--Keep Fighting Katie!!!
    The Kundysek Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, Katie, Kim, and family. I am reading this blog and can't imagine how difficult this time is for all of you. I love each and everyone of you and I know Katie if you keep fighting you will beat this and come out stronger than ever. Jenn thank you for writing this and I love you. I know I am far away but I am here for you just as well. Please know that I am thinking of you and praying for all of you.
    Shawna Coles

    ReplyDelete