Katie

Katie
Still Fighting

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Playing Catch Up....surprise lol

Print Friendly and PDF
Well good morning folks!  I'm going to try and bring everyone up to speed the best I can with out writing a novel. Okay, so we talked about Dr.no good not wanting to give me pain medicine for the NEULASTA. Lets go over a few of the side effects of Neulasta....

Neulasta side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Neulasta: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Neulasta and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
  • sudden or severe pain in your left upper stomach spreading up to your shoulder;
  • severe dizziness, skin rash, or flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
  • rapid breathing or feeling short of breath;
  • signs of infection such as fever, chills, sore throat, flu symptoms, easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleeds, bleeding gums), loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, mouth sores, unusual weakness; or
  • bruising, swelling, pain, redness, or a hard lump where the injection was given.
Less serious Neulasta side effects may include:
  • bone pain;
  • pain in your arms or legs; or
  • bruising, swelling, pain, redness, or a hard lump where the injection was given.

    I had:
    1. Pain in both upper shoulders
    2. flushing
    3. fever
    4. chills
    5. sore throat
    6. loss of appetite (big time)
    7. nausea and vomiting
    8. mouth sores (but mine were so far down my esophagus the numbing meds wouldn't reach)
    9. bruising, swelling and a hard lump at site of injection (see photo) ouch!
    10. BONE PAIN
    11. Pain in arms and legs

    Whew, but none of that warranted pain medication.  I went 4 days and 3 nights in this condition with no medicine at all, no nurse would come in my room to console me when I lay there crying, praying that the good Lord take me home, then had to reconsider that prayer because I'm fighting for Ryan and Rachel, in fact they came by to shut my door so the other patients couldn't hear me. So I started to pray for strength, and pain relief from God, whom is my ultimate healer, NO DOCTOR, NO NURSE BUT GOD is my ultimate healer and as I lay there as still as I could,  I can guarantee you my pain eased, a little, but it did, and at that point I knew everything was going to be okay somehow someway.  I believe it was that evening Jennifer called me and asked me if I wanted to transfer to Baylor Dallas (and of course I did), so she said she would call me in the morning after working out the details.  Morning came and Jenn called...with Dr. X on the phone who wanted to confirm I no longer wanted to be in his care haha really guy come on!  The very next morning two men with a stretcher came by my room and picked me up and transported me HERE, to Baylor Dallas!  Love Love Love it!  From the moment I was wheeled they've made it seem like I'm the only patient here!  Every single nurse I've met so far has been so wonderful.  My new Dr. who is the doctor that will do my transplant is FABULOUS!  He has me on a great pain regimen and said anything else I may need it's mine!  Comfort is key here! I've had two great nights of sleep, and I need to go explore some more...I hear we have a starbucks and chick fil a....score.  Katie is happy, getting great care...no exceptional care, will I should probably stop writing now as I just had pain medicine lol.

    Still Fighting,
    Katie Maldonado


5 comments:

  1. So good to hear this Katie. Prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a much higher pain tolerance than me and much more patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie I am so happy to hear this good news. I am sure you felt like it was a nighmare being treated like that. Hurts my heart. Keep Ryan and Rachel right infront of you and you will never loose sight of the reason you are who you are...a beautiful friend and sister and mom and daughter. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY, Katie, I'm so thrilled that they are managing your pain now! Hooray for Baylor and your new doc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... I'm happy you're in a much better hospital & doing better. We're all going to keep praying for you. Faith can move mountains...
    ... Blessings Always... Lorenzo
    ... How u doin !!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete